North London Waste Authority (NLWA) has the following statutory duties:
- To arrange the disposal of waste collected by the seven north London boroughs
- To transport and dispose of waste from north London's reuse and recycling centres
- To store and dispose of abandoned vehicles
Disposing of household waste
NLWA arranges for the disposal of waste collected by the seven north London boroughs, which is handled through one or more of the following facilities:
- The energy from waste facility located at the Edmonton EcoPark in the London borough of Enfield
- Fuel preparation plant, a road transfer station located at the Edmonton EcoPark
- A bulky waste recycling facility, located at the Edmonton EcoPark
- Hendon Rail Transfer Station, located in the London borough of Barnet
- Hornsey Street Road Transfer Station, located in the London borough of Islington
Disposing of other types of waste
It is also NLWA's responsibility to arrange for the disposal of the following:
Clinical waste collected by the seven boroughs is delivered to the Clinical Centre at the Edmonton EcoPark and depending on the type of waste, it is then either transferred to the energy from waste facility, or sent for specialist disposal elsewhere.
Cement asbestos from households can be deposited at Hornsey Street Re-use and Recycling Centre, Hornsey Street, London N7 8HU by appointment only Tel: 020 8884 5645 or email: email@example.com
The north London borough councils deliver tyres to our third party operator for recycling.
Re-use and recycling centres (RRCs)
NLWA is responsible for running seven of the eight reuse and recycling centres (RRCs) in north London. RRCs provide residents with places to dispose of their household waste and recyclables. They are run by our wholly-owned company, LondonEnergy Ltd.
NLWA also arranges for the transport and disposal of waste from all NLWA and council run reuse and recycling centres within the north London area.
The waste is transported and disposed from the following sites:
- Summers Lane (Barnet)
- Regis Road (Camden)
- Barrowell Green (Enfield - managed by London Borough of Enfield)
- Western Road (Haringey)
- Hornsey Street (Islington)
- Kings Road (Waltham Forest)
- Gateway Road (Waltham Forest)
- South Access Rd (Waltham Forest)
In addition to its statutory duties, NLWA provides a range of other services. These include providing practical support and advice to north London residents to help them reduce their waste and recycle more. NLWA does this by:
- promoting waste prevention, reuse and recycling through communications campaigns;
- supporting residents to waste less and recycle more through outreach work at events and with individual households; and
- providing materials and tools to help and encourage residents to recycle and reuse more and waste less.
NLWA's Waste Prevention team supports residents through a range of waste prevention and reuse initiatives, focused on the following waste streams:
- Food waste
- Single use items (including plastics)
More information about NLWA's work with residents can be found in the Reduce, Reuse and Recycle section of this site.