Food tins and drinks cans
Most food tins and drink cans can be recycled at home. Please just give them a quick rinse to make sure there is no food residue. You can leave the label on but do not crush or flatten.
Items that can be recycled
- Drinks cans
- Food tins
- Empty aerosols (please remove plastic caps)
- Jar lids
- Clean foil and foil trays
Items that cannot be recycled
- General kitchenware e.g. cutlery, pots and pans
- Crisp and sweet packets/wrappers (some manufacturers, such as Walkers, offer a free recycling scheme. TerraCycle has a number of drop-off points where crisp packets and biscuit wrappers can be recycled).
- Laminated plastic food/drink pouches e.g. baby food, cat food, or coffee pouches (but some of these can be recycled through TerraCycle)
- Metal containers for chemicals e.g. white spirits, paints, or engine oils (but empty paint paint containers can be recycled at your local reuse and recycling centre)
- Any other metal items e.g. kettles, irons, pipes, white goods (visit our electrical and electronic items page to find out how to recycle electrical items. Metal pipes and wire coat hangers can be recycled at your local reuse and recycling centre)